Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Does thing still work?!

I had an idea back in 2016 to share my Rey Ordonez super collection, one card (set) at a time, however that steam fizzled out in January of 2018. While I'm not sure I have the desire or time to try and fire that effort back up, I did recently land one of my "white whales" or "grails" if you will - 1999 Skybox Thunder Super Rave. These parallels were numbered to just 25 copies. A copper foil replaced the normal ink used for the players name on the card front, along w/ the Thunder logo. These elusive parallels were exclusive to Hobby packs and while I don't recall the actual pack odds, they weren't easy to pull. I'm also not sure if Thunder sold very well so who knows if the other 24 copies of this card are floating around out there on the secondary market. My guess is no, making acquiring this card that much tougher and now that much more sweeter.


These card images are also forever immortalized on Trading Card Database's site, you're welcome. This is one of those cards I had almost given up hope of ever finding, but thanks to a eBay saved search I got the email a few weeks back. I looked over the listing (which also contained the Rave parallel that I already owned) and decided I'd make a run at it. I didn't have much money to play around with, but I placed my bid. This is where it got "exciting". I meant to bid $36.16, but I forgot the decimal...so I became the high bidder with a max bid if $3,616! Whoops! I immediately researched out to retract a bid and was told I needed to reach out to the seller, which I did only for them to do nothing. In their defense the auction was under the 2 hour mark of ending so I'm not sure they could have done anything. 

We've all placed a bid before for an item we wanted really bad, constantly refreshing the page in those fleeting moments of the auction's final moments. Sometimes I'm hoping to get outbid as I had remorse of placing the bid in the first place, but this time the anxiety was for a whole 'nother reason. I was literally praying that no one would come along and run up the bid "just because". I had already told the bidder they would have to help if that was the case, but I don't know what their stance would have been if that was the case. Thankfully, no one else came in behind me and placed another bid so I ended up winning the two card lot for like $20 and some change. Whew!

Even though I have this in my hand now, I'm still in a state of disbelief. Most of the cards I'm still searching are low numbered parallels or 1/1 cards. It's rare that I'm able to add anything new of his to the collection, but when those far and few in between days happen they are some of the best days.

No comments:

Post a Comment